- Salary/Rate 800/weekly
- Experience Level Internship
The Walrus provokes new thinking and sparks conversation on matters vital to Canadians. As a registered charity, we publish independent fact-based journalism, produce national ideas-focused events, and train emerging professionals in publishing and nonprofit management. The Walrus is invested in the idea that a healthy society relies on informed citizens. Over the past two years, TD Bank Group has supported the TD Fellowship on Disability and Inclusion, creating an opportunity for The Walrus to recruit professionals with disabilities to work with various departments across the organization to ensure that our journalism and events are more inclusive and accessible.
The Walrus is currently accepting applications for the 2022 TD Fellowship on Disability and Inclusion. This is a fully paid nine-month opportunity for one senior fellow to work with the marketing, digital, and events teams to help plan, develop, and produce a range of digital marketing and content for The Walrus. This position is open to applicants who identify as a person with a disability.
This senior fellowship position allows The Walrus to further incorporate inclusion as a pillar of events and digital marketing. The TD Fellow will support The Walrus marketing and digital teams in ensuring that events and marketing reach relevant audiences, include diverse contributors, and provide accommodations for audience members with disabilities, such as by providing closed captioning for events. The senior fellow will report to the marketing manager and will work with The Walrus marketing, digital, and events teams as well as other departments.
The successful applicant will receive training in every aspect of The Walrus events production process, including planning, outreach, booking speakers, drafting marketing copy, and production. They will also have the opportunity to develop fact-checking and copywriting skills by attending editorial workshops. The TD Fellow will also learn about the production processes in the digital department, including web builds, newsletter production, Google Analytics, advertising, podcast production, video and animation processes, and more.
- Researching topics related to Canada’s conversation and helping curate content that is fresh, innovative, and exciting
- Staying current about what is on the minds of Canadians, including trends, topics, and speakers
- Creating and supporting the writing and execution of publicity, social media, and marketing content
- Supporting the management of media outreach for earned media coverage
- Suggesting different avenues for reaching new audiences
- Producing podcast scripts and social marketing posts, recording and editing audio and video, and helping design infographics and visuals for the website
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 3–5 years of experience in event management, content creation, and/or marketing and media
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong research skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and participate collaboratively in a team environment
- Knowledge of CRM or Salesforce is an asset
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Audition, Animate) is an asset
- Experience with newsletter-building software is an asset
- Experience with WordPress and basic HTML/CSS/JS is an asset
The position will run from July 2022 to April 2023 and pays $800 per week for a thirty-five-hour workweek. Fellows receive ten days of vacation annually.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resumé, and one letter of reference to [email protected] with the following subject line: TD Fellowship on Disability and Inclusion: [First and last name]. The deadline for applications is 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, July 1, 2022. The Walrus supports diversity and inclusion as we work to fulfill our educational mandate. We value employment equity and strongly encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, and other racialized people; people with disabilities; people of all genders; and LGBTQ2+ people. If you require any accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know by email at [email protected] Though this position will be remote for the foreseeable future, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada to qualify. The successful candidate will work thirty-five hours per week. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Locations Canada
- Address 411 Richmond St. East
- Job Tag
- Total Years Experience 2 to 4 years