- Salary/Rate $71,689.80 - $84,247.80 annually
- Experience Level Mid-Senior level
Job ID: 29420
Job Category: Community & Social Services
Division & Section: Shelter, Support & Housing Admin, SSHA Homelessness Init & Prevention Svcs
Work Location: Various. Please see below.
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Temporary, 12 month and 6 month vacancies
Salary: $71,689.80 – $84,247.80 annually, Wage Grade 5
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours weekly
Number of Positions Open: 3
Posting Period: 25-Jul-2022 to 09-Aug-2022
- 1 vacancy at Women’s Residence, 674 Dundas Street West (12-month vacancy)
- 1 vacancy at Birkdale Residence, 1229 Ellesmere Road (6-month vacancy)
- 1 vacancy at Junction Place, 731 Runnymede Road (12-month vacancy)
In this role, you will be responsible for the effective supervision of Property Services and service delivery of facilities management, housekeeping, maintenance and repair of City Shelters. The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervises and maintains a variety of sites that may be owned and operated and/or solely operated by the City of Toronto Homeless Initiatives and Prevention Services
- Directs all building services within the shelter program site(s) and ensures all areas are maintained in a sanitary, attractive, fully functioning and orderly condition
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates Property Services staff
- Develops and maintains staff schedule to meet operational needs
- Handles day-to-day labour relations matters, including the hearing of grievances and the imposition of discipline, as required
- Advises the Shelter Manager on best practices and recommends changes to policies, processes and procedures for Property Services within the shelter program site(s)
- Monitors building conditions and systems, and initiates remedial action required to correct unsafe or unsatisfactory conditions
- Implements a preventive maintenance and repair schedule for all life safety, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and mechanical systems
- Establishes and maintains inventory records of linen, furniture, personal protective equipment (PPE) and other relevant equipment and supplies
- Implements and maintains an effective pest control and waste management program
- Assists with relevant purchasing functions, including developing specifications and obtaining cost estimates to complete purchase order requisitions, as required, the development and review of procurement documents, monitoring expenditures as per purchase orders/contracts, purchase card reconciliation and petty cash spending
- Advises the Manager, Homeless Initiatives and Prevention Services, and the Program Supervisor – Property Services regarding budgetary requirements for building services and controls building services expenditures
- Liaises with shelter site management staff and property service and housekeeping supply organizations, vendors and contractors with whom the shelter conducts regular business
- Liaises with the Program Supervisor – Property Services at Seaton House and Property Services Supervisors at other shelter sites
- As a member of the divisional Property Services supervisory team, assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and best practices regarding Property Services for the Shelter Support and Housing Administration Division in all areas of building maintenance, housekeeping, small capital initiatives and repairs
- Participates in the shelter site Joint Health and Safety Committee as a Management representative and ensures that the shelter site(s) is/are audited as per legislation
- Oversees and coordinates larger scale repair projects at the site and other shelter sites, as needed
- Participates in committees and workgroups as a representative of the shelter and of Homeless Initiatives and Prevention Services, as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline relevant to the position, or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Experience planning and supervising building maintenance in institutional property services operations.
- Experience working with building maintenance systems such as HVAC, electrical and plumbing, and preventive maintenance practices.
- Experience in a supervisory role, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Proficiency with using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of issues of homelessness in regards to singles and families.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain internal and external relationships.
- Knowledge in preparing, maintaining and administering the unit budget.
- Good organizational, analytical, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to motivate, coach and lead staff.
- Knowledge of human resources management, including labour relations, performance evaluations and hiring practices.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Familiarity with purchasing and inventory control practices and procedures.
- Completion of, or enrolment in, a building services program would be an asset.
- FMP certification is an asset.
Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check Requirements:
Selected candidates will be required to provide a current Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) as a condition of employment for this position.
For more information on Hostels Services, please visit our website at http://www.toronto.ca/housing
A Police Reference Check program brochure is available at http://www.toronto.ca/housing/employment.htm
- All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy < https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/accountability-operations-customer-service/city-administration/corporate-policies/people-equity-policies/covid-19-mandatory-vaccination-policy/ >. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture, and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information, visit jobs.toronto.ca or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/CityTOjobs, on LinkedIn at Linkedin.com/company/city-of-toronto or on Facebook at Facebook.com/CityTOjobs.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting Job ID 29420, by Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity < https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/content/Hiring-Policies-and-Statements/?locale=en_US >.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process < https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/content/Hiring-Policies-and-Statements/?locale=en_US >.
- Job Locations Canada
- Address 674 Dundas Street West