- Experience Level Mid-Senior level
CreateTO, launched on January 1, 2018, is a municipal government agency established to manage the City of Toronto’s real estate portfolio. CreateTO works collaboratively with City stakeholders, external partners and community members to create more livable, sustainable and inclusive communities. The agency will enable the City, for the first time, to adopt a strategic city-wide approach towards the delivery of real estate solutions to promote a balance of community and economic benefits.
The Opportunity (one-year contract)
Reporting to the Vice President, Port Lands Asset Management, the Manager, Waterfront Development will develop and coordinate site and area-wide plans for City and CreateTO properties in the Port Lands and the broader waterfront. This will include review of planning documents, market research, transportation and servicing reports and physical site due diligence such as environmental and geotechnical reports. This position will help to build consensus concerning optimum uses, heights and densities, planning approvals and development phasing and actively collaborate with key partners, including the City and Waterfront Toronto.
- Manages complex projects involving CreateTO and City properties on the waterfront, including planning, infrastructure development, finance, environmental management, and project implementation.
- Develops, reviews, co-ordinates and edits site plans, master plans, environmental assessments, risk management plans and audits, and other due diligence documents in accordance with the Official Plan, Central Waterfront Secondary Plan, and other policies.
- Retains and manages external consultants on project-specific assignments and studies, developing and overseeing the preparation of purchasing documents (RFQs, RFPs), valuation of proposals and coordination of consultant work, ensuring timely delivery of services and value for money.
- Coordinates with City staff of all Divisions and Agencies to advance best development concepts and resolve issues raised in seeking approvals.
- Represents CreateTO in a professional manner in various forums, including community and stakeholder meetings, and works cooperatively with various partners including Waterfront Toronto and City Divisions, Agencies, Boards and Commissions, as well as waterfront-related task forces and advisory committees.
- Carries out research and analysis related to land use planning, provincial and municipal policy, economic development, asset management and industry-related market trends.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree related to Planning, Geography, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate or equivalent;
- 5 to 7 years of relevant experience is required at a professional level;
- Experience delivering complex planning projects, from inception to implementation with minimal direction;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate with a broad range of stakeholders, senior management and political representatives;
- Experience with design and construction of various building typologies an asset;
- Current knowledge regarding land use planning, municipal planning initiatives, and development issues and trends;
- Working knowledge of City of Toronto municipal land use planning approvals process;
- Detail oriented and must possesses excellent research and analytical skills including time value financial analysis;
- Effective interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in conflict resolution in complex, multi-stakeholder situations;
- Ability to efficiently organize, coordinate, and complete tasks and projects;
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team;
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop), SketchUp Pro and GIS software preferred.
CreateTO is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Candidates can request accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the hiring process. Our organization is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment and we especially welcome applications from individuals within equity seeking groups. We strive to provide an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective are proven to build better companies. Our goal is to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and be themselves. For more information on CreateTO, please visit our website at www.createto.ca.
Interested and qualified candidates are required to send their resume and cover letter in confidence to [email protected] quoting the job title (“Manager, Waterfront Development”) in the subject line by Thursday, September 28th, 2023. Submissions that don’t include the requirements noted above will not be considered. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies at this time please.
- Job Locations Canada
- Address 61 Front Street West
- Total Years Experience 5 to 10 years